2016 Bindi Kaye Pinot Noir
An extremely limited and sentimental wine from the Bindi elevated vineyard, planted in 2001, that pays tribute to my mother, Kaye. It's a vineyard with a stunning perspective over the other vineyards, the winery, house and to the forests and hills beyond. There are some lovely metaphors, no doubt. The site has a lot of quartz and mudstone, a smattering of volcanic soils that have eroded down from the volcanic plateau above, and produces a wine of fragrance, structure and complexity. 2016 is a stylish wine that enjoys the benefit of nearly three years in bottle. The rose petal-like perfume mixes with red and dark cherry and spice and has seductive creamy and earthy aromas. The palate is harmonious and builds power through chewy tannin, fruit weight and brightening acidity. It will continue to gain creamy texture as the tannins soften, then more earth and savouriness will appear yet the fragrance will remain.
Many reasons to love Bindi wines
• Vines are grown in a mix of ancient stony Ordovician soils and younger volcanic soil.
• Harvest completed by hand
• No herbicides or systemic pesticides in use
• Our compost is made from tea, cow horn preparation, fish and seaweed.
• Wines are made without adding yeast, yeast nutrient, enzyme or fining agents.
• The wines spend many months on yeast lees in old and new French barrels.